Special Educational Needs
St. Thomas’ C. E. Primary School values the abilities and achievements of all its pupils, and is committed to providing, for each pupil, the best possible environment for learning.
The SEN Aims of the School
- To have regard for the DfES Special Educational Needs Code of Practice (2001).
- To ensure that all pupils have access to a broad and balanced curriculum.
- To provide a differentiated curriculum appropriate to the individual Childs needs and ability.
- To ensure the rapid identification of all pupils requiring SEN provision as early as possible in their school career.
- To ensure that SEN pupils take as full a part as possible in all school activities.
- To ensure that SEN pupils make good progress based on their ability.
- To work in partnership with parents and other agencies in meeting children’s SEN needs.
- To ensure that SEN pupils are involved, where practicable, in decisions affecting their future SEN provision.
We recognise that many pupils will have special needs at some time during their school life. In implementing this policy, we believe pupils will be helped to overcome their difficulties.
Definition of Special Educational Needs
A child has a Special Educational Need if they have a difficulty with their learning that requires special educational provision to be provided for them that is additional to and different from the provision provided for the majority of children.
A child has difficulties with their learning if they:
a) Have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age; or
b) Have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for children of the same age in schools within the area of the local education authority
c) Are under compulsory school age and fall within the definition at (a) or (b) above or would do so if special educational provision was not made for them.
Our Special Educational Needs & Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCO) is Mrs Jackie Parker. Mrs Parker can be contacted via the school office on 01925268722 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org